Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Deathly Hallows, Indeed (or..."I need to stop looking at my blog reader")

Every time I refresh my blog reader I am more shocked. Maybe I shouldn't be shocked. Maybe this is a sign of the times, as they say.  Maybe the "Christian" world has just finally gone about as topsy-turvy as it can possibly go. 

But just in case you don't feel fulfilled in your walk with Christ...just in case you are looking for one more substitute for actual study of the Word of God...you can now include (wait for it) the Harry Potter Bible Study to assist you in your "study" of spiritual things.  Subtitle: "Enjoying God Through the Final Four Harry Potter Movies." 



I am not joking. I really wish I was.

I will be honest - I have not read this book (although I have seen the HP movies).  But it is $2.99 in the iTunes store, so I'm really tempted to...even though I'm pretty sure I know what  it's going to say.  

For now I just want to get this news out. I have more to say - but you'll just have to wait. Or say something yourself! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I love how you put it, "just in case you are looking for one more substitute for actual study of the Word of God." Isn't that what so many are searching for without even realizing it? ... I think it's a combination of our own self-deception (if I read this spiritual book, then I'm spending my quiet time with God, and I'm so engaged) and Satan's subtle deception. If he can get us to think we're spending our time with God apart for His actual Word, he can steer us so far from Truth with very little effort. Ugh. BTW - why am I a bit passionate about this idea ... you guessed it, I've fallen into this trap before. Not with a Harry Potter Bible study (that's a little blatant, even for me) but with trying to be so efficient, that I was reading Christian books in lieu of my actual Bible, and well, that ended me in a very bad place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Trish! I remember my dad always telling us kids that if we didn't have a lot of time to do our "quiet time" or devotions (or whatever nifty name you want to give it) on any particular day, then we should skip the "extra" reading (the book or devotional) and just do the Bible reading for that day. He knew that we would be better off reading the Word FIRST, and reading ABOUT the Word later.
    I'm reminded of Hebrews 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random ... that's our memory verse for CBS this week. :)

    ReplyDelete