Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pray Always

Here's the scoop on the "Praying for Your Husband" reminder system! 

I've started a text-message reminder system with specific ways to pray for my husband, and I would love it if you'd join me. Text @prayalways to this phone number: (424) 269-7031.

A little back story:
Over the Christmas break I was having a fun lunch with my Mom, my sister (Kim), and my sister-in-law (Kellye). In getting settled, Kellye glanced down at her phone and exclaimed, “It’s 11:11!” Then she proceeded to tell us how she and Jim stop to pray for each other whenever they notice that it’s 11:11. (I’ll pause here while you go, “awwww!”)  And so we all did just that – we stopped and prayed for our husbands right then.  It was just a little thing that happened unexpectedly, but it stuck with me, and it made me start thinking about how often I pray for Bob and HOW I pray for him.  I think about him all the time, and you could definitely say that I pray for him a lot, but unless there is something going on that we’re specifically praying about my prayers tend toward the “please keep him safe” and “please take care of Bob” types of prayers.

I want to pray more purposefully for my husband, so I got this idea to set up a reminder system, along with different ideas for how to pray for him.  I put together a HUGE list of ways to pray for my husband (of course the Internet came in handy – specifically Pinterest). And it occurred to me that I probably am not the only one who wants to do this, so I decided to set up a text-reminder system and invite my friends to join.

So – if you want regular reminders (via text message) with specific ways you can pray for your husband every day, text this code: @prayalways to this phone number: (424) 269-7031  Doing that will subscribe you the message list.  It will also give you info on how to unsubscribe, should you change your mind.  If you don't text, or if you’d rather receive an email, you can send an email to prayalways@mail.remind101.com  Just leave the subject line blank.

You'll receive regular reminders of specific ways you can pray for your husband. They come about every other day and at different times of the day (so that you don’t get into a rut and think, “oh, I can ignore that message”).  You don’t necessarily have to stop what you’re doing and pray right then for your husband (but you can – in full 11:11 fashion!), but the text will serve as a reminder and will give you something to pray and think about for your husband.

And so I invite you to text @prayalways to (424) 269-7031 and join me in praying every day, specifically, for our husbands.   And feel free to share the code and the number with your friends.  There is no way for you to see who else is subscribed, so it’s private in that sense, but it’s also a great way to stay accountable.

One last thing: I want to make sure we all understand that praying for your husband is not some “magical” way to control him.   We have the privilege of coming before the throne of the Living God and bringing our requests to Him – not so that we can wield prayer like some weapon to train our husbands, but so that we can rely on God’s power to transform us, our husbands, our marriages, and our lives.  I know that we all come from different places in our walk with the Lord and in our marriages, but whether your marriage is strong or struggling, I would encourage you to deliberately lay down your own desires before the Lord and ask Him to work in YOUR LIFE as much as you’re asking Him to work in your husband’s.  In fact, as I was putting this list together I found myself thinking, “I need to pray these things for myself, too!”   So pray, every day, and allow your heart to be soft toward the leading of the Holy Spirit in your marriage and in your life.

I really hope you’ll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment